Every once in a while, you find a destination that has carved out a completely unique cultural experience compared to its neighbors. One of the more up-and-coming, wonderfully weird towns that meets that qualification is Asheville, NC. Other vacation destinations may be mint chocolate chip or rocky road—both delicious ice cream flavors. Asheville is salted caramel—cooler than you would think. When you fly into Asheville, you'll land at Asheville Regional Airport (AVL), the air transportation hub of the largest city in western North Carolina. You can locate deals on cheap flights to Asheville, NC through Travelocity and revel in an Appalachian adventure of waterfalls, hiking trails, local breweries, and art galleries. Discover why this place is a hub of culinary cool and a quaint destination for enjoying all the amenities of a luxurious vacation without the hustle and bustle of big crowds and overhyped tourist traps. Flights to Asheville bring you to attractions such as the Asheville Pinball Museum and Asheville Zipline Canopy Adventures, both unique experiences for the adventuresome traveler. And, when you book your ticket to Asheville, NC through Travelocity, you’ll save enough money to experience every one-of-a-kind wonder the city has to offer.
Transportation from AVL
Grab your luggage from the carousel, then pick from one of the taxi, car rental, limo rental, or hotel shuttle services around the airport to take you to your destination. Hotels near AVL are just a quick trip to the east across Interstate 26. Travelers on a budget can connect from their Asheville flights to their hotel accommodations on a commuter bus provided by Asheville Transit. If you plan to explore western North Carolina, you can rent a car at one of the car rental agencies located at the west end of the main terminal. Once you've had a chance to rest, you can then spend the afternoon exploring the arts and crafts galleries downtown and appreciating the Neoclassical and Art Deco architecture.
Hotels Near AVL
Downtown Asheville is only about 15 miles from AVL. So, even the accommodations in city center are just a quick drive from the airport. Here are some of our favorite hotels near Asheville Regional Airport:
- The Omni Grove Park Inn – Tucked away on the rolling hillside, just north of downtown, the Grove Park Inn is a luxurious retreat from the hustle and bustle. Enjoy a round of golf on the resort’s legendary course, or treat yourself to a rejuvenating treatment from the on-site world-class spa.
- Country Inn & Suites by Carlson Asheville Downtown Tunnel Rd – Located just 10 miles from the iconic Biltmore Estate, the County Inn & Suites puts you in a perfect spot to explore Asheville. After a long day taking in the area’s attractions, unwind with a dip in the indoor pool or work the kinks out with a session in the Whirlpool tub.
- Renaissance Asheville Hotel – Contemporary cool meets rustic charm at this upscale property in the heart of Asheville. Savor a scrumptious farm-to-table meal at Writer’s Bistro or get in a few laps in the indoor saline pool. That buzz you hear is not just hype—the Renaissance has a rooftop beehive.
- Country Inn & Suites by Carlson, at Asheville Outlet Mall – If part of your Asheville experience is a cruise along the scenic Blue Ridge Parkway, this may be the best hotel option for you. Not only is it a short drive from the picturesque stretch of highway, it’s also central to all of Asheville’s attractions.
Things to Do Near AVL
Before you visit the local craft breweries, hike the surrounding nature trails, or sample some farm-to-table delicacies, here are a few fun things to do near AVL airport that you might want add to your Asheville, itinerary—even if you are only going to be in the area for a short while on a layover:
- Biltmore – Built by the Vanderbilt family, this chateau-esque mansion is America’s largest single-family private residence. Tour the sprawling 8,000-acre property with its expertly manicured gardens, impressive buildings, and dozens of fountains.
- River Arts District – Perhaps no other neighborhood defines Asheville’s distinct culture than the River Arts District. One stroll along the artisan studios, galleries, and co-op spaces and you’ll quickly see why.
- Blue Ridge Parkway – At 469 miles, the Blue Ridge Parkway is technically America’s longest linear park. And a few of those spectacularly breathtaking miles run right past Asheville.
Experience Big Fun in a Small-Town Setting
Book your airfare to Asheville, NC now and treat the whole family to a wholesome vacation experience. By scheduling vacation packages through Travelocity, you'll be placing yourself smack dab in the epicenter of small-town charm and community-style arts development. Reserve your rooms and flights to Asheville, NC at the same time, and you can save enough cash to make even a Vanderbilt blush.