From the hippies hanging out near Haight & Ashbury to the counter culture holding court in the Castro, San Francisco offers a glimpse into America that is as unique as Lombard Street is crooked. Flying into San Francisco International Airport (SFO) is exciting, especially if you catch a glimpse of the iconic Golden Gate Bridge before you land. Whether you are booking one of the cheapest flights to San Francisco, California, for business or to take advantage of one of many excellent San Francisco vacation packages available, flights to San Francisco can open the door to a fantastic urban adventure.
Transportation from SFO
Because there are so many ground transportation options at the airport, staying at one of the San Francisco airport hotels can make for an easy base from which to catch all the city's sights, especially if cheap airfare to San Francisco and budget options are your goal. Once you land, you can use the complimentary AirTrain people movers to get to the BART station for rail service to downtown, or ride them to the rental car center if you prefer the freedom of driving during your stay. For service to the wider San Mateo County area, Samtrans buses can be boarded in the domestic arrival and baggage claim areas. There are also taxis available outside all of the baggage claim areas, or you can use a rideshare app like Uber or Lyft to have a car meet you curbside. Once your San Francisco flight has landed and you check in at your hotel, it's time to explore!
Hotels Near SFO
There’s no denying it, as soon as you get out of the airport, you’re going to want to head to a pub for a pint of Anchor Steam, or make tracks to Tadich Grill for a bowl of their signature cioppino. But, you’ll probably want to drop your bags off at a nearby hotel in San Francisco to change out of your travel clothes and put on something more…Californian. Here are a few of our favorite hotels near SFO:
- Parc 55 – This contemporary-cool property is located close to SFO as well as all of the downtown action. We recommend a room on an upper floor to take advantage of the expansive views of the city scape, bay, and Golden Gate Bridge.
- Stanford Court – As one of the top luxury boutique hotels in the nation, you’ll be able to pamper yourself in posh comfort shortly after your arrival at this Nob Hill icon. In addition to upscale opulence, the Stanford Court offers state-of-the-art technologies like an electric car charging station, Google Glass Explorer programs, high-speed Wi-Fi, and a collection of computers and tablets for guests to borrow.
- Hotel Whitcomb – This historic property once served as a City Hall after the 1906 earthquake. Today, it is one of the most preferred hotels in San Francisco. Foodies will love its proximity to Soma and Hayes Valley, and sports fans are a just a short walk to AT&T Park.
- Hotel Nikko – This Asian-inspired hotel features a glass-enclosed indoor swimming pool, rooftop lounge, and exotic rental car service. So, even if you’re not a celebrity when you check in, you can live like one during your stay.
Things to Do Near SFO
You probably already have an itinerary planned out before you even book one of our San Francisco flight deals. But here are a few San Francisco treats close to the airport that you might want to consider adding to your list:
- Pacific Coast Highway – There is no better way to refresh your soul after a long flight than a cruise along the California Coast on one of the most scenic stretches of blacktop on the planet. We suggest a convertible for this.
- Muir Beach – If the spirit of the open road compels you, keep your foot on the gas and go past downtown, across the Golden Gate, and pull over at this secluded slice of sandy serenity.
- Winchester Mystery House – Do your travel plans take you to the South Bay? If so, be sure to make a pit-stop at one of the most interesting architectural oddities in the country. The 6-acre property is part Victorian manor, part intricate maze, and 100 percent weird.
Experience San Francisco
Whether you want to dine at five-star restaurants downtown, belly up to the bar with the locals in the Mission District, bark at the seals along Fisherman's Wharf, or toss a Frisbee at Golden Gate Park, there's something for everyone to love in San Francisco. You can save gold rush worth of cash when you book a hotel and plane tickets to San Francisco at the same time. With Travelocity's help, you can leave your heart in San Francisco in no time at all!
Need insider tips on must-see attractions in San Francisco? Check out our San Francisco travel guide!