A city does not earn a venerable nickname like the "Birthplace of America" without having some incredible stories. In Philadelphia, these stories include some of the country’s most iconic historical landmarks, delectable cuisines from around the world, and the sort of nightlife that makes everyone feel like a local. But you know all this, don’t you, traveler? You are already going in search of places to stay in Philadelphia, after all. What you may not know is exactly what each neighborhood and hotel can offer an intrepid explorer like yourself, so read on.
Where to Stay in Philadelphia
- Old City: If quotes like “We hold these truths to be self-evident” send shivers down your spine, you, wise wanderer, may be a history buff. And Old City is the perfect neighborhood for you. The Liberty Bell and Independence Hall are the famous landmarks here, but don’t miss the 18th-century Georgian row houses along lesser-known Elfreth’s Alley, America’s oldest inhabited road.
- University City: Home to Philadelphia’s two largest universities, this neighborhood’s atmosphere is young and vibrant. By day, delicious smells waft from food trucks and celebrity-chef-owned restaurants alike as students throw Frisbees in Penn Park. By night, friendly banter and live music emanate from the bars along Walnut Street into the late hours. University City is laid-back Philly at its finest.
- Washington Square West: If you’re always first in line at the latest restaurants, you need one of the hotel rooms in Philadelphia’s most up-and-coming area. A stroll down 13th Street reveals everything from the city’s best brunch to Asian fusion and wine bars. It isn’t all brand-new, though. Museum-quality collectables abound on Antique Row, and Washington Square Park is well-known for the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.
There is one neighborhood that is so popular, it deserves its very own review. Downtown Philadelphia has much to explore, and you won’t want to miss a thing.
Downtown Philadelphia Hotels
When poet Nathaniel Parker Willis said "Philadelphia is a city to be happy in," we think he was referring to its beautiful Center City area. Focused around Rittenhouse Square, downtown is the place to be for culture connoisseurs, with al fresco dining, upscale shopping, art galleries, and of course, history.
- The Ritz-Carlton for art: This is the hotel you want if “LOVE” is important to you. We mean the city’s famous LOVE Sculpture, subject of proposals and wedding photos since 1976. Once you’re done feeling the love, you’ll return to living in luxury at this five-star hotel. Let the bubbles you chose from the bath menu surround you, then indulge your other senses at the on-site restaurant or with 24-hour room service.
- Loews Philadelphia Hotel for history: Here, you’ll be just up the street from Independence National Historical Park. Much more than museums and tours, this park is an experience. Hear the clicks and whirrs of an 18th century press at the Franklin Court Printing Office and contemplate the Liberty Bell’s famous fissure. After your adventure-filled day, unwind with a dip in the heated indoor pool, take a breath in the saunas, or enjoy an excellent selection of wine in the Lobby Lounge.
Top Amenities at Hotels in Philadelphia
Philly may be the “City of Brotherly Love,” but there is plenty of business going on here, too. Whether you’re in town for trade or enjoying a treat, the local lodging has everything you’ll need to feel like you’ve found your home away from home.
- Club Quarters Hotel for business: Club Quarters Hotel has both guest rooms and extended stay corporate apartments for those longer business trips. Ergonomic office chairs in every room will have you saying “Ahh!” in comfort, and there is also available office space and meeting rooms. Plus, complimentary Wi-Fi throughout the hotel and refreshments in the Private Club Living Room lounge will make you feel like a VIP.
- Sofitel Philadelphia for leisure: At Sofitel Philadelphia, you’ll feel elegant just walking into the lobby, but once you get to your room, you’ll truly be floating on air thanks to the hotel’s custom-designed feathertopSoBeds. When you awaken, you can count on the concierge for tickets to top attractions and reservations at the city’s best restaurants.
Whether you want five-star extravagance or would rather save your Benjamins with cheap hotels in Philadelphia, you can count on Travelocity for the best selection around. As Ben Franklin would say, “Never leave that till tomorrow which you can do today.” Heed this wise advice, and book now.