As a wise wanderer, you have learned how to tell the difference between a Moscato and a merlot, and a shiraz from a chardonnay. You understand that a nose is a more than just a part of your face. New wines are a treasure to discover, and the process from de-corking to last drop is an experience to savor. Whenever possible, you prefer to visit regional vineyards to sample vintage reserves and compare tasting notes. It is in the spirit of the sauvignon that your next wine adventure takes you to San Luis Obispo. Not only will you be in the backyard of some of California’s most celebrated wineries, you’ll also have the entire central California coast to serve as your playground. When you use Travelocity to book your travel, you’ll find great deals on cheap tickets to San Luis Obispo. It’s time to tune up on your tannins. And, with the money you save on your San Luis Obispo airfare, you’ll be able to buy a few bottles of local wine for your own private cellar at home.
Transportation from SBP
Serving the California Central Coast, San Luis Obispo County Regional Airport (SBP) is used by travelers from Northern Santa Barbara County to Southern Monterey County and flies them to Los Angeles, Phoenix, and San Francisco. As the only airport in the region, all San Luis Obispo flights come through SBP. The Spirit of San Luis Restaurant is at your disposal breakfast, lunch, and dinner for a sit-down meal. After your flights to San Luis Obispo, CA land, a handful of major rental car companies help you get around the area. Additionally, other ground transportation options—taxi, limousine, shuttle bus, and public transport—are located just outside of the baggage claim exit to whisk you on your way.
Hotels Near SBP
Once your flights to San Luis Obispo touch down, you’ll undoubtedly want to get to your hotel as quickly as possible so you can freshen up before venturing out to the vineyards. Here are some of our favorite hotels near SBP airport:
- Embassy Suites San Luis Obispo – Once known as the “Happiest Place in America,” San Luis Obispo is home to the Happiest Hour at the Embassy Suites with complimentary wine, beer, and snacks. The newly remodeled guest suites, convenient amenities, and on-site eatery will make the smile on your face even bigger.
- SeaCrest OceanFront Hotel – Just down Highway 101 from SBP is the sleepy beach town of Pismo Beach. Soak up the sunshine at this amazing hotel, high on the cliffs above the Pacific. Watch the sun set from your guestroom balcony, on one of the spacious patios, or from the lush green lawns on the property.
- Quality Inn Pismo Beach – The Quality Inn is perfectly located for all your central coast adventures. Take a stroll on the Pismo Beach Pier, indulge in some retail therapy at the Prime Outlets, or visit the nearby vineyards.
- Oxford Suites Pismo Beach – One of the best options for extended stay and business travelers, the Oxford Suites is also an ideal home base for your winery weekend wonderland. Guests can take advantage of complimentary breakfasts as well as a free evening wine reception.
Things to Do Near SBP
Certainly, your stay in San Luis Obispo will be full of fine wines, cutting-edge cuisine, and as much relaxing as your schedule allows. If you are looking to add anything else into your itinerary (even if you are only in for a short layover), the following activities near SBP airport are well worth a look:
- Get Out on the Water – The Pacific Ocean is less than 10 miles from the airport. Work out your tight muscles from the long flight with a little fun on the water. Rent a kayak or a standup paddleboard to explore the coast on your own, or head out on a whale-watching tour and let someone else take the stern.
- Meet a Monarch – If you prefer to stretch your legs on dry land as opposed to the open sea, perhaps a stop at Monarch Butterfly Cove is in order. The beautiful grounds are home to tens of thousands of the delicately detailed winged wonders.
Explore San Luis Obispo
Whether you are planning to visit on a romantic getaway with that special someone, thinking about a girlfriends’ weekend at the wineries, or organizing a business conference, California’s central coast makes the perfect location. And, when you book your stay through Travelocity, you’ll enjoy great deals on cheap flights to San Luis Obispo. Plus, you can save even more money when you bundle your airfare with your hotel accommodations. You might want to bring an extra suitcase for the cases of cabernet you’ll buy with your savings.