As flights to Amsterdam descend from the clouds, the first things passengers notice are the canals—more than 1,200 of them—each with its fair share of charming houseboats. After all, there is a reason this city is nicknamed the “Venice of the North.” Once you've landed at Amsterdam Airport Schiphol (AMS) and take the short journey into the city, you are free to immerse yourself in the rich history, vibrant nightlife, and fascinating art. And such an immersion it will be.
Transportation from AMS
Passengers arriving on Amsterdam flights have many options for getting into the city. You can rent a car to travel from the airport to downtown Amsterdam; all the main car rental agencies are found in Schiphol Plaza, right behind Arrivals 3. Alternatively, buy train tickets from the yellow ticket machines and take a 15-minute train journey from the station one floor below the airport concourse into the city. Taxis are a convenient way to get into Amsterdam and are available in single and shared-customer options; only take a taxi from those in the queue. Many hotels offer shuttle buses, and this is the easiest and most inexpensive way to travel from the airport. In short, there’s no need to worry about getting around. Book your plane tickets to Amsterdam and leave the fretting at the door.
Things to Do Near AMS
It will not take you long to make your way into the downtown area, but sometimes, you simply cannot wait to get your vacation underway. Or, perhaps you have a long layover, but you don’t want to miss out on this city’s charms entirely. We have several suggestions to help you make the most of your tickets to Amsterdam.
- Amsterdamse Bos lives up to its translated name, “Amsterdam Forest.” You may be surprised to find such a vast natural space directly next to the airport, but this is a city that is full of surprises. And while you will find miles of meandering walking paths and leisurely boat rides on the many waterways, you will also find more unexpected treasures. Visit the goat farm to befriend these silly creatures, or test your balance in the Fun Forest activity course. Your only dilemma may be finding enough time to see it all.
- The Rembrandt Sloten Windmill and Coopery Museum is so charming and quaint, you may think you have traveled back in time—and far out into the Dutch countryside. The still-functioning windmill is a piece of living history, and photos are a welcome addition to your scrapbook. Learn little-known facts about cooperage, or the making of barrels. Created to hold all your favorite things, like cheese, wine, and cognac, these barrels are most certainly important.
Hotels in Amsterdam
Hotel beds in Amsterdam number just under 40,000, so there is plenty of accommodation. In fact, how will you decide? We can assist you.
- Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam looks like a castle, and its services and amenities live up to its promise of treating you like royalty. With an on-site spa, delicious restaurant and bar, and 24-hour room service, the luxurious lifestyle is available to you around the clock.
- Amsterdam Marriott Hotel is perfect for wanderers—those who wish to wander through museums, that is. Steps from the Museum District, this accommodation also features a 24-hour fitness center, sauna, and friendly concierge.
- Renaissance Amsterdam Hotel gets five stars, and not just because of its location in the heart of the city. With two restaurants and two cafes, plus 24-hour room service and deluxe extras like designer toiletries and plush towels, you’ll never want to leave the building.
- Pulitzer Amsterdam wins the prize for convenience to Anne Frank House and some of the city’s top dining and nightlife. And if that is not enough, there are three restaurants and enough services to please even the pickiest traveler. Our cheap flights to Amsterdam ensure you have plenty of money to spend on them, too. Your town car will be right around, sir.
Whether you're captivated by art from the old masters, taking part in lively nightlife, or wandering through historic neighborhoods, you'll find what you're looking for in this gorgeous capital. And when it comes to cheap airfare to Amsterdam, you’ll find what you’re looking for right here on Travelocity. Make your dreams a reality and take the trip of a lifetime to Amsterdam.