You may not have fancied yourself a surfer before, wise wanderer, but now that you’re here in Hawaii, why not at least attempt to hang 10? Or, if angling is more to your liking, venture farther out into the Pacific to reel in the elusive swordfish you’ve seen swim through your dreams. When you’re not in the water, explore the local landmarks and breathe in the coastal air carrying scents of hibiscus and plumeria blossoms. Before the day is done, sip a cup of freshly roasted coffee made from beans grown on local plantations, and when night falls, experience an unforgettable luau made famous by this island paradise.
Known by locals as simply the Big Island, the largest of Hawaii’s constituent landmasses is nearly twice as the size of all the state’s other islands combined. And by booking a stay in one of the Kona hotels on our site, you can enjoy all of the treasures this island has to offer.
Where to Stay in Kona
If you’ve never been to the Big Island before, choosing where to stay can be a bit challenging only because there will be so much you will want to experience. To help narrow down your choices, here’s an overview of four of the best places to stay in Kona:
- Royal Kona Resort for a first-class experience: Tucked away in the historic coastal town of Kailua-Kona, the Royal Kona Resort is among the island’s most desirable destinations due to its proximity to Hawaii’s finest shopping, dining, and snorkeling experiences. Here are a few other benefits you can expect:
- Sips, swimming, and snorkeling: Enjoy a laidback day at the resort's swimming pool conveniently located next to Don's Mai Tai Bar, or head to the resort’s private saltwater swimming lagoon, which serves as a perfect proving grounds for first-time snorkelers.
- Tennis: Work on your serve at the Royal Kona Tennis Club, offering a pro shop, four courts, and special events all year long.
- Spa services: Pamper yourself at the Royal Kona’s Massage & Spa Center, which provides a full menu of restorative treatments including both Eastern and Western-style practices.
- Entertainment: Experience the Voyagers of the Pacific Luau to feast on authentic Hawaiian fare and tropical libations while you watch dancers move with the music.
- Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel for Hawaiian history: Situated at the site where King Kamehameha, Hawaii’s onetime ruler, once resided, this full-service accommodation is among the finest hotels in Kona, offering an exquisite combination of culture and convenience within steps from the sand. Among other amenities, here’s what you have to look forward to by staying at the Kona Beach Hotel:
- Location: With a prime location near the Kona Airport, the Courtyard by Marriott is also within proximity to other local attractions including the Honokohau Marina and Kaloko-Honokohau National Park.
- Wellness: Take a dip in the outdoor pool, or get your heart pumping at the on-site fitness center before settling in for one of the hotel’s spa treatments.
- Café and dinner: Celebrate the start of your day with a cup of locally-grown coffee at Menehune, or sit for a full meal at Honu's on the Beach Restaurant.
- Event space: Host a beachside wedding or an indoor conference by making the most of the hotel’s event and meeting spaces.
- Kona Coast Resort for families and fun: Offering breathtaking views of the shoreline, the Kona Coast Resort is an ideal destination for families, fitness fanatics, and anyone who can appreciate Hawaii’s natural beauty. Here are a few other perks provided by staying here:
- Swimming and sauna: Slip into your swimsuit and hit either of the two pools, three hot tubs, or the dry sauna.
- Dinner: Grab a table at the Sunset Terrace for an authentic Hawaiian meal.
- Golf and spa services: Work on your golf game atop the 18-hole course, or spend some time in the Kona Coast’s spa.
- Event space: Whether it’s a wedding, family reunion, or corporate retreats. The resort’s indoor and outdoor meeting spaces are the ideal setting for your next event.
- Fitness: In addition to the Kona Coast’s fitness center, you’ll find courts for basketball, shuffleboard, tennis and beach volleyball, located around the property.
- The Wyndham Kona Hawaiian Resort for excellent amenities: Featuring abundant amenities not found elsewhere on the island, the Wyndham Kona Hawaiian Resort offers awe-inspiring accommodations appointed with authentic Hawaiian accents. And whether you’re visiting the Big Island to work on your golf game, have fun with the family, or woo a romantic interest, here’s a closer look at what to expect:
- Swimming: Swim some laps in either of the resort’s two outdoor swimming pools, or soothe your muscles in one of the hot tubs.
- Full kitchen and laundry: Each unit features a full kitchen and laundry facilities, meaning you can save money by eating in, and pack more lightly by doing your own laundry.
All set to visit the Aloha State? Travelocity takes all the hassle out of booking Hawaiian vacations and makes it simple for you to book cheap hotels near Kona at whatever time is best for you. Reserve your stay at any of our Kona lodging options today, and you’ll be living it up at a luau before you know it.