You'll have a variety of options when it comes to hotels in London, some of which are just as historical as the surrounding sites. Dozens of iconic landmarks like Buckingham Palace and Big Ben are within a short walk or public transit distance. Take a ride on the London Eye or wander through Covent Garden, a popular shopping and tourist site. Feel like taking a bit of a break? Visit the London Zoo or go for a stroll through the expansive Hyde Park. Driving in London can be hectic, though, so it's best to do some research while purchasing vacation packages in London to determine if a rental car the right option for you.
In a city as historically fabled as London, it’s no surprise that many of its hotels are as prestigious as the quintessentially royal properties they neighbor. So, instead of staying at a run-of-the-mill roadway inns, a room at one of these emblematic accommodations should be in order:
- St. Ermin’s Hotel, Autograph Collection – Like a diamond set in the middle of two sapphires, St. Ermin’s is situated in the heart of Westminster right between the eponymous abbey and Buckingham Palace. The hotel’s classic architecture and antique interior design components are complemented by state-of-the-art technologies and modern amenities. After a day exploring the wonderful neighborhood, recharge your batteries with a classic British afternoon tea at the Tea Lounge at St. Ermin’s.
- The Rembrandt – Just south of Hyde Park, and equidistant from the Natural History Museum and the world-famous Harrod’s department store, the historic Rembrandt pampers its guests in understated elegance from the moment they step foot through the lobby door. Enjoy an aromatic exfoliation or other body-rejuvenating treatment at Aquilla Spa, savor a traditional roast lunch at the Palette Restaurant, and sip a proper Pimm’s No. 1 cocktail at the 1606 Lounge Bar.
- Sofitel London St. James – Repurposed from the former Cox’s and King’s Bank building just steps from Trafalgar Square and the National Portrait Gallery, the Sofitel is a destination in its own right. The expert therapists at the award-winning So SPA are trained in multiple exhilarating international treatments. And, the well-appointed guestrooms and Balcon restaurant are both a splendid mix of French chic and British charm. Perhaps the best display of world fusion at the Sofitel, though, is in its St. James Bar signature seasonal cocktail menu which features flavors, spirits, and mixers from around the globe.
- The Bailey's Hotel London – Spend your London nights in a bygone time with a stay at The Bailey’s. This Victorian-era townhome has been renovated into one of the city’s most stunning luxury hotels. Detailed stonework, stained glass windows, and a sweeping lobby staircase punctuate the posh property. While its fashionable South Kensington neighborhood serves as a beacon to pleasure-seekers, business travelers will appreciate The Bailey’s proximity to the Millennium Conference Centre next door.
Festivals and Events
London is host to some of the most exciting seasonal events in the U.K.:
- BluesFest: In November, cut a rug to the sounds of major musical acts at this music festival.
- Bonfire Night: Be awed by the fireworks displays that light up the city sky on this night.
- London Marathon: For the especially adventurous and fleet of feet, the London Marathon is held every April.
- Summer Brew Fest: If you're looking to visit during the summer, you have the city’s annual beer celebration to look forward to in June.
You can save a royal treasure by bundling your flight and hotel together on Travelocity. Packaging your travel and accommodations together is the best way to find a cheap vacation in London. So, if you're thinking about visiting the historical hamlet, make sure to check out Travelocity’s London package deals to make planning your trip that much simpler.
Accommodation in London
Heading to United Kingdom's capital? It won't be hard finding accommodation, with as many as 1578 hotels to choose from. Head to Travelocity's London hotel deals page to search for something that's perfect for you.
The Bulgari Hotel, London, at 171 Knightsbridge, or the Mandarin Oriental Hyde Park, London, at 66 Knightsbridge, are teeming with elegance and splendor. If those don't suit your present needs, think about the Lanesborough, at Hyde Park Corner, or the Four Seasons Hotel London at Park Lane, situated at Hamilton Place.
Perhaps you would like to minimize your travel time? Book a room nearby the Big Ben at the Grosvenor House Suites by Jumeirah Living or the Claridge's.