What began as a nice stay turned into a disaster
Posted Nov 23, 2016 on Expedia
Let me start by saying that the room, the staff and my immediate stay at Humphreys was pleasant. After I checked out though, I learned it could not have been worse.
I was in the middle of moving and my bed had already been removed from my house, so, after a few nights on the couch, I needed a night in a bed. Last minute, I booked Humphreys, a nice hotel that was pretty affordable given the last minute booking. I checked in around 7 pm and ordered room service for dinner (salad and steak). Food tasted fine, watched some TV and then went to sleep. Woke up the next day feeling a little funny/off, but had some breakfast delivered to the room, checked out and went to work.
By noon, I could hardly move, shivering with a fever so extreme I could hardly get to my car to leave work early by 1-2 pm. By the time I got home, without getting to graphic, I was in and out of the bathroom until 8 am the following morning. Knowing I wasn't alright, I went to urgent care where they diagnosed me with Norovirus (i.e. food poisoning). Urgent care helped a bit, but I wasn't able to eat any food again until Sunday evening (Thursday-Sunday). I still am not fully over it, nearly a week later, and sincerely wish I never checked into Humphreys. Hopefully other guests at the hotel did not get what I had from Humphrey's kitchen as I would not wish my food poisoning symptoms on my worst enemy.
Sorry Humphreys, while the room was nice, I will never be coming back.