Where there’s a warm breeze, you lift your chin to the wind. As the tide glides out to sea, you chase it. And if the sun shines down to kiss your shoulders, you stand tall. You know what you want out of life and as soon as you find it, you lean in. When you crave an island getaway, you needn’t look farther than the southern tip of Texas. You may remember this long, blond shore from spring breaks past—the Tex Mex picnics, midday margaritas, dancing till dawn—but just like you, the island has many sides and stories to tell.
Located along the Gulf Coast, just east of Port Isabel, this easygoing island town stretches like a cat napping between two sunbeams. Find your own special place to snooze on the sand or embark on an outdoor adventure of skiing, snorkeling, or kayaking in the deep blue waters. No matter how you spend your days, relax and recharge in one of our top South Padre Island hotels. The whirlwind awaits.
Where to Stay in South Padre Island
The real question is where can’t you stay in this small town with a big view. Covering just the southern portion of a long string of barrier islands that gleam with golden sand like a pearl necklace, South Padre Island is surrounded by beautiful coastlines. So, if you’re wondering where to find the best locations and hotels in South Padre Island, just look around. Here are a couple guest favorites to consider as you plan your escape:
- La Copa Inn Beach Hotel: Before you take to the high seas, wander through Queen Isabella Memorial Park, just steps from La Copa Inn. From the contemporary haven of your hotel, take the walking bridge through the wild grasses out to the edge of the gulf and follow the sand from beach to beach. Take advantage of the quiet setting with a morning on your private patio, balcony, or reeling in a prized catch on Queen Isabella State Fishing Pier. Don’t worry if your line comes up empty. Enjoy a gourmet meal at the hotel restaurant or order in delicious room service.
- Pearl South Padre: Hide away where the palm trees sway over pristine swimming pools. Open the doors of your private balcony and let vitamin D and a mineral-infused mist fill your guest room or suite with the scent of paradise. Located within walking distance to Schlitterbahn Beach Waterpark and Isla Blanca Park, the Pearl South Padre is a relaxing oasis with an easy reach to wild rides and impressive tides. After a long day splashing around town, indulge in treatments at the full-service spa, take advantage of the 24-hour fitness center, or sip a delicious drink at the poolside bar.
What to Do By Land and By Sea
- Sea Turtle, Inc.: Since 1977, Sea Turtle, Inc. has been a rescue for injured turtles, thanks to Ila Loetscher, the "Turtle Lady of South Padre Island." Learn about these endearing sea creatures and how to conserve their watery habitat…and make some new friends while you’re in town.
- Watersports: On the north end of the island, the tides are right and the breeze is blissful—perfect for kayaking, canoeing, windsurfing, and Boogie boarding. Pick your passion and slice or slide through the water.
- Isla Blanca Park: When you’re ready to stretch out on the sand, grab a good book and cool drink and wander over to this blissful beach. The waves are moderate and equipment rentals are available right on the waterfront, so spend all day sunbathing and swimming.
- Schlitterbahn Beach Waterpark: If saltwater isn’t your cup of tea, grab your towel and head for this family-friendly splash fest, complete with a lazy river and wild slides. The pace slows down a bit after sunset, like the sea at low tide.
Whether you hope to unplug and refresh or relive youthful revelry, the Gulf Coast welcomes you with a warmth you’ll find only in Texas. Book cheap hotels in South Padre Island with Travelocity. Our price-matching guarantee gets you the best prices available—just find an unbeatable deal and we’ll match it, so you can have peace of mind before you even depart on your grand getaway. Pack your passport, because more stunning vistas await just south of the border and they’re breathtaking, too.