Are you dreaming of a vacation that’s part historic, part elegance, and all charming? How about one of the oldest cities in the United States? If you want to steep yourself in good old-fashioned Southern hospitality, look no further than flights to Charleston, South Carolina. Spend your days exploring Charleston's historic downtown, strolling on brick-lined sidewalks past antebellum mansions. Or, take a horse-drawn carriage ride through the beautiful Battery. The moss-laden oak trees and cobblestone streets are just what you’ve been dreaming of. And Travelocity’s spectacular flight deals to Charleston are just what your bank account is dreaming of, too.
Transportation from CHS
If your Charleston flight gets in late or you’re just feeling knackered, book one of the hotels near Charleston International Airport (CHS) to utilize the hotels' free airport transfers to get a little R&R before your adventure begins. If you’d rather get straight downtown, you can get there in a taxi or a pre-booked shuttle, which you’ll find outside the baggage claim area. At the Rental Car Pavilion, which is located in the baggage claim area, you can book a rental car at any one of five agencies. Located curbside by the baggage claim is the CARTA, the Charleston Area Regional Transportation Authority, which provides bus services to downtown Charleston and many other locations within the city.
Hotels in Charleston
Finding your perfect Charleston airfare isn’t the end of the story, of course. Charleston hotels await, ready to provide all of the convenience, elegance, and friendly Southern service you expect.
- Belmond Charleston Place is the hotel of choice for those who want to experience the opulent mansion lifestyle for themselves. This five-star hotel has an award-winning restaurant, spa, and everything else the luxury traveler requires.
- The Mills House Wyndham Grand Hotel has four stars, but it is nearly as extravagant as its five-star cousins. It is also just a relaxing half-mile stroll to The Battery, through the quaint streets of historic Charleston.
- The Francis Marion Hotel is also ideal for those who enjoy a good promenade. You will be just a half mile from Liberty Square, where you can pick up the ferry to Fort Sumter.
- King Charles Inn will entice history buffs who also enjoy the hunt for that perfect souvenir. Pick up coveted sweetgrass baskets at Historic Charleston City Market to bring back to all your friends.
Things to Do Near PHL
Your Charleston plane tickets aren’t just your gateway to amazing hotel amenities and downtown attractions; they’re also your ticket to fun right outside the airport doors. Whether you have a long layover or just can’t wait to get out there and explore, you’ll find all sorts of revelry here:
- Magnolia Plantation and Gardens not only claims the title of "Charleston's Most Visited Plantation," it was also voted one of "America's Most Beautiful Gardens" by Travel + Leisure Magazine—the only garden in South Carolina that made it onto this venerated list. It’s been open to the public since 1870, making it the oldest public garden in the country. And if you care not for all of these accolades and distinctions, just let the history and beauty impress you instead.
- Drayton Hall sits just east of Magnolia Plantation, it’s grand façade overseeing rolling green lawns and stands of weeping willows. Where Magnolia Plantation is romantic and fanciful, Drayton Hall is stately and elegant, preserved in near-perfect condition since the 1750s. As you tour the grounds, let the past envelop you along with gentle breezes on the portico. Surely you will leave not only with memories to last a lifetime, but also a sense of the importance of the history that happened here, and throughout America during these times.
Let Charleston Charm You
You may desire the laid-back atmosphere of a getaway to the American South, but that doesn’t mean you should rest on your laurels when it comes to booking your airfares. You’ll always find the cheapest flights to Charleston right here on Travelocity. Book today, and you just may begin feeling the relaxation before you even arrive.