Why waste time thinking about it? United States Penitentiary Canaan was made to be seen.
Waymart, about 110 miles (177 kilometers) away from the capital of the state, Harrisburg, is where you'll find it.
Don't fret if you don't find any hotel options in the immediate vicinity. There are quite a few a little farther away. You will be able to take your pick of 5 places to stay if you head to Mount Pocono, 30 miles (48 kilometers) away. Many travelers enjoy the Pocono Manor Resort and Spa, Comfort Inn And Suites and Hotel M Mount Pocono.
The Crossroads (93 Pennsylvania 296, Waymart) is a popular local restaurant that locals enjoy after a busy day, and it's just 0.1 miles (0.2 kilometers) away.
Other Things to Do Near United States Penitentiary Canaan
Whether you want to diverge from the main tourist route or explore the more well-known attractions, you're not going to run out of things to do after your outing to United States Penitentiary Canaan:
- History fans should make time to visit Carbondale Historical Society and Museum, where history comes to life and paints a picture from the region's past.
- Merli-Sarnoski Park is valued by both locals and visitors. Take some time to enjoy the outdoors, and maybe a picnic!
- Take the opportunity to show off your posture, stance and swing at Homestead Golf Course.
- Honesdale Golf Club is a renowned, local meeting space where local members come to socialize with friends.
- History doesn't always come to life in classrooms, but the exhibits at Wayne County Historical Society Museum provide an enriching experience for all visitors.