Welcome to the capital of New York: Albany. Full of interesting architecture and a wealth of local history, the city is a pleasant mix of yesteryear and tomorrow. Explore the modernistic Empire State Plaza and happening nightlife scene on Lark Street one day, and then get a lesson the next day by touring the New York State Museum and historic State Street. Needless to say, from the time your flights to Albany International Airport (ALB) land until you leave, the city will entertain. And, when you use Travelocity to book your vacation to Upstate New York, you’ll find a multitude of cheap flights to Albany, NY so you can have some extra spending money to better help you enjoy the Hudson River Valley.
Transportation from ALB
All flights to Albany, NY that you take ends with…more transportation to get to where you need to go. Many hotels close to the airport offer free shuttle services to and from ALB. And if you're staying downtown, you can rent a car from one of the rental companies near the luggage claim area. The Capital District Transportation Authority (CDTA) offers bus services to the city via route 737; the bus typically runs from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m., but note that stops are infrequent for both (every 20 to 30 minutes in the morning and every hour or more later). Also, it's nice to know the airport is only 7 miles from the city, so if your Albany flights arrive early or late or you don't want to wait for the bus, you can hail a cab at an affordable price. Booking a limo is also an option.
After dropping off your bags, start exploring! Hopefully you've saved money on your airfare to Albany, NY, because that will leave you with more cash for shopping and eating everything from ostrich burgers to homemade soup.
Hotels Near ALB
Because Albany International is so close to downtown, once you pick up your luggage from the baggage claim, you’re just a short ride to your accommodations. Here are some of our favorite hotels near the airport:
- The Desmond Hotel Albany – This Colonial-style property offers luxurious lodging in their 300+ guestrooms and suites. For a truly unique experience, reserve one of their the magnificent duplexes with king size four-post beds. With an indoor pool, upscale restaurant, and casual dining pub, you won’t be left wanting amenities.
- Best Western Albany Airport Inn – Nestled just between the airport and downtown, the Best Western is the perfect mix of convenience and affordability. Corporate travelers will appreciate the 5,500-square foot conference facility. And vacationers will love the pet-friendly policy, complimentary breakfast, and indoor pool with retractable roof.
- Ramada Plaza Albany – Just a short cab ride from the Times Union Center, the Ramada Plaza is a delight for both business travelers and pleasure-seekers. With free Wi-Fi, the on-site Plaza Grill and Lounge, and a refreshing pool, this hotel has everything you need to help you relax after a long day exploring the city.
- Hampton Inn and Suites Albany Downtown – Situated right downtown, the Hampton Inn and Suites is in the perfect location to best experience all that Albany has to offer. Stroll along North Pearl Street or head over to the banks of the Hudson before returning to your comfortable, well-appointed guestroom.
Things to Do Near ALB
Before you head downtown to visit the many shops, restaurants, and museums on your Albany itinerary, there are a few things to do close to ALB airport that you may want to consider first. We recommend the following popular attractions:
- Vischer Ferry Nature & Historic Preserve – Located along the Mohawk River, this nature sanctuary features hiking, birding, and nature trails—as well as cross-country skiing and even a few secret fishing holes.
- Albany County Hockey Facility – While you could stretch your legs after your long flight on the trails at Vischer Ferry, why not put your body on ice, instead. Right next to the airport, the Albany County Hockey Facility has open-rink ice skating multiple times a week. We don’t recommend trying a Double Salchow without a proper warmup, though.
- Lark Street – So your trip to the Empire State didn’t include any time in the Big Apple. No worries. You can experience the same Greenwich Village vibe in the bars, bistros, and boutiques along Lark Street.
Greet the great outdoors by biking along the Hudson River, trekking through Thacher State Park, or chilling at Washington Park. Then, enjoy a meal and craft beer downtown before catching a performance at The Egg. Albany aims to please, and it succeeds. To make the most of your trip here, start preparing early. If you plan to fly, know you can save an empire’s worth of cash when you book a hotel and cheap tickets to Albany, NY at the same time with one of many vacation packages.