Where to stay in Albany: Best areas for travelers
- Schenectady: Night owls, listen up! This is the spot to stay if you love a bit of fun after sundown. Enjoy an evening at Rivers Casino & Resort or wander over to Proctors Theater. When you've had enough action, get a cozy night's sleep at The Parker Inn & Suites, the Hampton Inn Schenectady or the Days Inn by Wyndham Schenectady/Albany Area.
- Latham: You've loads of choices when it comes to places to stay and things to see in this part of town. Recharge your batteries at the La Quinta Inn & Suites by Wyndham Latham Albany Airport, the Golden Circle Inn or the Quality Inn & Suites Albany Airport — then you'll be ready to visit fun sights like Pruyn House, Curtain Call Theater and Watervliet Shaker National Historic Site.
- Greenville: If you're hoping to stay in an area with family-friendly attractions and comfortable hotels, this side of town will be a good fit. Let your little travelers work off their extra energy at Rainbow Golf Club. Come nighttime, get them settled in bed and rest up at the New Listing! Garden Room Suite at the Van Winkle Inn, The Peggy Madeline Suite At The Van Winkle Inn 1 Bedroom Home or the Baumann's Brookside Resort.
- Troy: This is a great place for art enthusiasts. Take in Arts Center of the Capital Region before making your way to Contemporary Artists Center. There's loads more to see, but catch up on some rest first at the Best Western Plus Franklin Square Inn Troy/Albany, the Courtyard by Marriott Albany Troy/Waterfront or the Hilton Garden Inn Troy.
Top Albany hotels deals
Popular places to visit in Albany
New York isn’t all bustling boroughs and Broadway lights. Sidled up to the west bank of the Hudson River, the state capital dances to its own beat about 150 miles north of New York City. Like the current lapping against the shore, Albany is awash in historic sites, avant-garde art venues, and gorgeous parks and gardens. Whether you’re taking a break from the Big Apple or craving a getaway on the riverfront, a trip to Albany is in order. Learn more about our Albany vacation deals and the Cradle of the Union, then steal away to the Empire State.
Top Hotels in Albany
An amazing Albany vacation starts with convenient flights and a hotel that’s practically begging you to put up your feet and savor the moment. Consider these guest favorites as you book your grand getaway.
- Best Western Sovereign Hotel - Albany: Start your day with complimentary breakfast, a refreshing dip in the indoor pool, and a peaceful walk through the campus at University of Albany SUNY. You’ll be a short drive from all the attractions of downtown Albany and even closer to Albany Institute of History Art and Westgate Plaza—the perfect balance of hideaway and hub.
- Red Roof Inn Albany Airport : Located just south of Albany International Airport, this Red Roof Inn boasts an incredibly convenient location—made all the easier with a free shuttle service to and from the airport. Discover new insights about the region’s heritage at the nearby Watervliet Shaker National Historic Site and Pruyn House, where nostalgia hangs on the breeze like sunbeams.
- Hilton Albany: When you want to be within steps of Albany’s most beloved entertainment and arts venues, check in at the Hilton, located very close to The Egg, Albany Berkshire Ballet, and Capital Repertory Theater. Pair your evening with dinner at one of the hotel’s two restaurants and unwind with a swim in the indoor pool.
- Best Western Albany Airport Inn: Also close to the airport, as well as the Shaker Heritage Society and Pruyn House, this Best Western delivers all the comfort and service you expect from the beloved hospitality brand. Catch a ride to the airport and nearby attractions with the complimentary shuttle or stay in to take advantage of the indoor pool and the 24-hour fitness center.
While you're on vacation in Albany, tour the palace-like state capitol building and the surrounding grounds graced with ponds and flower gardens. The opulent Gilded Age architecture is the perfect backdrop for the numerous paintings on display. The Erastus Corning Tower stands nearby, and it’s the tallest building in the state outside of New York City. You don’t have to walk far down the streets of Albany to step through several decades. For example, you can tour the USS Slater downtown, still afloat since WWII, or wander among centuries of estates in Cherry Hill.
Although it may look like an elegant deviled delight, The Egg is a hub of culture and the arts in Albany, and its highly unusual architecture only adds to the experience of attending a play or concert. After a busy day of sightseeing, explore downtown's Pearl Street entertainment district. You'll also find restaurants and clubs concentrated in the Madison Avenue, Lark Street, and Delaware Avenue areas.
Recurring Festivals and Events
In true New York fashion, local events tend to celebrate the state’s multi-cultural heritages. Albany's Dutch heritage is celebrated in May at the Tulip Festival, which woos visitors each spring with thousands of vibrant tulips blooming in historic Washington Park. The New York State Fourth of July Celebration at Empire State Plaza features the largest fireworks display in the region—a must-see for any Albany family vacation. A day in the life in Albany includes live music and a naturalization ceremony, where “huddled masses yearning to breathe free” are welcomed to their new home sweet home.
The Hudson River won’t wait for you, traveler. Book your vacation package in Albany to save on airfare and accommodation with Travelocity and go with the flow.
Tours and Activities in Albany
Whether or not you want your travel adventure to be hair-raising and exhilarating or more peaceful and relaxing, there's one thing for sure — you'll have a bucketload of stories to share when you arrive back home!
Planning a visit to Albany? Why not treat yourself to a Day Trip to New York City? After all, vacations are all about impromptu decisions!
Frequently asked questions
How much are vacation packages to Albany?
How long should my Albany vacation be?
Where can I get the best vacation package deals for Albany?
Why should I purchase my Albany vacation package via Travelocity?
Can I save money on my Albany car rental if I combine it with hotels and flights?
What is the best time of year to go to Albany?
Which airport is best for Albany?
What is there to do in Albany?
Where should I stay when visiting Albany?
^Savings based on all package bookings with Flight + Hotel made on Travelocity.com from as compared to the price of the same components booked separately. Savings will vary based on origin/destination, length of trip, stay dates and selected travel supplier(s). Savings not available on all packages.