Although Omaha is an influential city to the state of Nebraska, it also served as one of the most important transportation hubs in all of America, thanks to its central position in the country. Although it's no longer an important lynchpin for cross-country transportation, it's still significant in the fact that five Fortune 500 companies call the city home. And if you think cheap flights to Omaha into the Eppley Airfield (OMA) are saving you money, you should also know that the city is where the affordable TV dinner was invented. It's those types of tidbits of information that make the city the perfect spot for the Heartland of America Park. Once you consider how affordable flights to Omaha, NE are, you'll quickly realize that the city is well worth it. And, you can keep that economic spirit alive by booking your Omaha vacation through Travelocity.
Transportation from OMA
Your tickets to Omaha, Nebraska will only get you so far. Once you land, however, you will have a variety of transportation options at your disposal. One favorite option is for individuals to find hotels close to Eppley Field Airport so that they can take advantage of complimentary shuttle services provided. Even if you stay a few miles out, however, you should still be fine. There are several rental car counters, ranging from Alamo to Thrifty, right inside the airport. If you'd prefer, though, you could always grab a cab outside of the terminal.
Hotels Near OMA
Once your Omaha flights touch down at Eppley Field, you’re going to want to drop your luggage off at your hotel before you begin exploring the area. If you select one of these hotels near OMA, you’ll be able to hit the town in a Nebraska minute:
- Magnolia Hotel Omaha: Built in 1923, this landmark boutique hotel is on the National Register of Historic Places. Not only do the luxurious amenities make it ideal for vacationers, its proximity to major corporate headquarters downtown is convenient for business travelers.
- Hyatt Place Omaha Downtown Old Market: Located in the heart of the historic Old Market neighborhood, this thoroughly modern hotel adds a touch of contemporary style to the classic cobblestones surrounding it. In addition to high-tech conveniences, guests enjoy a complimentary breakfast, free shuttle service, and 24-hour dining options.
- Ramada Plaza Omaha Hotel and Convention Center: Situated near the Henry Doorly Zoo—and connected to CoCo Key Water Resort—this business class hotel is in a prime location for family vacationers, as well. Early check-ins and express checkouts complement other amenities such as free Wi-Fi, high-definition televisions, and an on-site eatery.
- Hilton Omaha: You won’t find a more centrally located property than the luxurious, contemporary Hilton. Not only is it a short walk to the Old Market and 7 miles from the airport, it is also a block from TD Ameritrade Ballpark and connected to the convention center via a skybridge—making it an excellent option for visitors hoping to experience Omaha’s nightlife, families in town for a group getaway, and business professionals attending an industry conference.
Things to Do Near OMA
As soon as you breathe in that clean Midwestern air, you are probably going to want to head to the shops and restaurants in the Old Market or go watch a game at TD Ameritrade Ballpark. However, before you make your way downtown, you should check out these fun things to do near OMA airport:
- Freedom Park: World War II history buffs will love walking around the naval ships and submarines on display in this park on the banks of the Missouri River. Highlights include the USS LSM-45 which was used as a landing ship for when planes could not find an airport.
- Omaha Henry Doorly Zoo: What a better way to stretch your legs after a long flight than with a not-so-casual stroll underneath a shark-filled tank of water? Don’t care for sharks? Don’t worry. There are a variety of other animals to look at and learn about that won’t cause as much anxiety.
- Hitchcock Ice Rink: If a walk under a shark tank doesn’t appeal to you, perhaps a session skimming across the ice is a more ideal way to work out the kinks after your flight. If this is your first time on the frozen surface, there are skating and even hockey lessons available.
Regardless of what types of sites you enjoy, Omaha has something for you. If you're a sports fan, you must catch a baseball game at TD Ameritrade Park. Is history your cup of tea? Head over to Freedom Park or the Malcolm X House Site. More interested in having a little bit of fun? Funplex is an awesome amusement park that's been around since 1987. To get the most out of your trip, though, make sure to find vacation packages on Travelocity’s website and bundle your flights to Omaha, Nebraska with other vacation-related necessities. Save enough to make a Fortune 500 CEO green with envy when you purchase a hotel and airfare to Omaha, NE at the same time by booking your travel through Travelocity.