Like its famous barbecue, Kansas City is known for variety. When it comes to the thick, tangy, tomato and molasses sauce, you’re not limited to one type of meat as in other smokehouse hubs. Slow cooked beef, pork, chicken, and turkey all serve as a conveyance for the delectably sweet concoction. That same freedom of choice is mirrored in the city’s welcoming attractions. You and your furry friend will enjoy a vibrant visual arts scene, a revitalized urban district, swinging jazz clubs, and enough fountains to give Rome a run for its money. And, with so many pet-friendly hotels in Kansas City like Hotel Phillips, you’ll never be too far from any of the fun.
What can I do in Kansas City with my pet?
If you and Bones McCoy are looking to get out and about in the City of Fountains, you certainly won’t lack things to do. Grab the leash, put on some comfy shoes, and head out for some of our favorite pet-friendly fun:
- Trolley Track Trail: If you and your pup want to stretch your legs before dinner, a hike along the Rails-to-Trails former railway should do the trick.
- Dog Parks: Introduce your four-legged friend to other tail waggers at Wayside Waifs Bark Park, Longview Lake Dog Training Area, Penn Valley Park, Swope Park, Jacob Loose Memorial Park, or Elkhound Ranch Kennel Dog Park & Trail.
- Fountains: With over 200 fountains throughout the city, you and your pet will never be far from a refreshing wade in a city landmark like the J.C. Nichols Memorial Fountain at County Club Plaza.
- Three Dog Bakery: With a Bulk ‘n Bite Buffet, free samples, and delicious canine treats, this is one epic way to reward your furry friend.
- First Fridays: If you happen to be in town on the first Friday of the month, make sure you and your pooch head over to the Crossroads Arts District for live entertainment, food trucks, and sidewalk vendors in this vibrant, once-a-month, open-air marketplace.
Are there any pet friendly BBQ restaurants near downtown Kansas City?
With so much smokehouse goodness to go around, there are more than a few places in and around downtown where you and your pawed pal can grab some amazing barbecue. The following are also conveniently located close to many of the dog-friendly hotels in Kansas City:
- Char Bar: With a menu full of “low and slow” wood-cooked delights, you and your dog might never want to leave. Luckily, they also have a 10,000-foot beer garden with bocce, croquet, and other outdoor fun to keep you busy in between servings.
- Westside Local: Enjoy some comfort food at its heartland best while relaxing with your pooch (and a pint) on the outdoor patio.
- Brooksider: There is something about the combination of the American Royal BBQ pulled pork sandwich, a cold draft beer, an exciting game on the big screen, and your pet at your feet that screams a great time. You should stop by and experience it for yourself.
- District. Pour House + Kitchen: Not only does this dog-friendly joint offer progressive renditions of Kansas City barbeque, they also serve over 35 homemade infused spirits.
When you use Travelocity to book your stay at a Kansas City pet-friendly hotel like the Chase Suite, not only will you and Bones McCoy enjoy top-notch accommodations, you’ll also be close to all that the city has to offer—fountains, dog parks, finger-licking smokehouses, and all. Plus, you’ll save enough money to buy your carnivorous canine his own order of ribs.