Deep in the heart of Texas, you'll find an eclectic mix of food, music, and art. This welcomed culture clash draws students, tourists, and transplants to revel in the Bohemian benevolence. Austin is a hotbed for free thinkers, nonconformists, and other eccentrics. There are many flight deals to Austin, a modest city in Texas that serves as the state's capital as well as a vibrant hub for filmmakers and musicians. The Colorado River lazily winds its way through the city center, adding a little sparkle to the downtown skyline. Your introduction to the city begins with your flights to Austin. As you deplane and enter Austin-Bergstrom International Airport (AUS), you'll be greeted by live performances at one of the airport's six music venues. From acapella to zydeco, you'll hear it all in the Live Music Capital of the World. And Travelocity has your front row ticket to the concert in the form of low-cost Austin airfare.
Transportation from AUS
Getting to the many hotels near AUS after your Austin flight arrives is easy since many airport hotels offer shuttle services for their guests. Austin's Capital Metro transit system also offers the MetroAirport bus, departing the airport every half-hour between 5:30 a.m. and midnight, which will take you from baggage claim to downtown Austin in under 30 minutes. If you're on a tight schedule, the helpful staff at the Visitors Information Center will assist you in arranging car rentals or taxi and shuttle services.
Hotels Near AUS
One of the great things about Austin-Bergstrom is that it is only 8 miles from downtown. Don’t bother with a 2-star roadside motel by the airport when you can be at an upscale hotel in less than 10 minutes:
- Wyndham Garden Hotel Austin: Take advantage of the free airport shuttle and express check-in to get you into your comfortable room in a flash. Hit the on-site fitness center in the morning, relax by the pool all afternoon, then head downtown for an entertaining evening, Austin-style.
- Hilton Austin: Whether you are in town for business or pleasure, you are not going to find a better location than the thoroughly modern Hilton. Adjacent to the convention center and a block away from the excitement along 6th Street, you’ll be just a few steps away from all the action.
- Hyatt Regency Austin: Find some Texas-sized tranquility in this urban resort on the banks of Lady Bird Lake, just across from downtown. When night drapes the city under a blanket of stars, you’re just a short cab ride away from the frenzied fun on 6th Street and Congress Avenue.
- Omni Austin Hotel: The Omni is a perfect place to stay if you are planning on vising the University of Texas or the State Capital building during your visit. Boasting luxurious amenities, sweeping views of the cityscape, and well-appointed guestrooms, the facilities are even better than its location.
Things to Do Near Austin
Austin has become famous for its music scene thanks in part to the success of its SXSW Conference & Festivals. Here’s something that many people may not realize—that same music and mayhem can be found year-round at these activities close to the airport:
- South Congress Avenue: Independent retailers, adventurous eateries, daring art galleries, and electric live-music venues help to create a neighborhood that is uniquely Austin. This is a must-visit for every foodie, audiophile, and craft beer fan visiting the city.
- 6th Street: During the evenings on weekends, most cross streets are closed, turning 6th Street into a pedestrian paradise, with all genres of music from live venues filling the air. In between shakes and shimmies, grab a bite to eat or enjoy a pint at one of the many brew pubs in the neighborhood.
- Longhorn Football: Austin isn’t all oddball culture. It’s also home to the University of Texas. And come Saturdays in the fall, the whole town is dressed in burnt orange and white for Longhorn football games. The fanaticism doesn’t stop after football season ends, either. The university’s basketball, baseball, and softball teams are traditional national powerhouses, too.
Find Your Groove in Austin City Limits
With every cafe, lobby, and street corner serving as a venue for local musicians, there's no shortage of entertainment as you walk from the historic Texas Capitol building to the Alamo Drafthouse Cinema. Discover what makes—and keeps—Austin weird by exploring local shops and attractions, like the food-court trailer parks—an extension of the food truck craze that finds a cluster of vehicles serving up diverse dishes. Go jogging or cycling along the 10-mile Lady Bird Lake Hike and Bike Trail. The annual South by Southwest (SXSW) Festival brings musicians, filmmakers, and technology professionals together every March for 10 days of performances, premieres, and programs. If you're using your Austin plane tickets to visit SXSW or one of the city's music and film festivals, get mobile exclusive deals on the Travelocity app and save on cheap tickets to Austin. If big festivals aren't your scene, consider one of Travelocity's other vacation packages for the cheapest flights to Austin. Either way, pack your dancing shoes in your carry-on and get ready to boogie to baggage claim.