Flights to San Jose, Costa Rica are the perfect way to put you in the middle of a trifecta of fun. Spend the day exploring the Spanish-colonial capital of this Central American sovereignty. Work your way through the lush rainforest on an exciting eco-odyssey. Or, take a day trip to either the Pacific or Caribbean coast for some of the best sun, sand, and surf on the planet. When adventure calls your name, whatever you do, don’t ignore it. Here at Travelocity, we’re dedicated to helping you give into that magnetic sense of wanderlust. You’ll discover our vast selection of the best flights to San Jose, Costa Rica (SJO) which make it easy for you to embark on an unforgettable trip. Whether you’re venturing out to the city on your own or treating your family to an unexpected vacation, a trip to Costa Rica offers just the escape you had in mind. As soon as your San Jose, Costa Rica flights land, explore the city’s most famous spots and search for its hidden gems. Dive into the local scene, as you relish the cuisine and dabble in the art, music, and cultural attractions.
Transportation from SJO
If you saved a bunch of money on cheap tickets to San Jose, Costa Rica, you’ll be happy to know that there are plenty of affordable transportation options to get you from SJO to your hotel that keep that frugal spirit alive. Formally known as Juan Santamaría International Airport, SJO is easy to maneuver through. Many nearby hotels and resorts offer courtesy shuttles that can be boarded outside of the baggage claim exit. Just inside that same doorway, you’ll find rental car company courtesy counters where you can pick up the keys to your temporary set of wheels. The government-authorized Taxis Unidos can be found just outside the arrival terminal exit, and are easy to locate thanks to their bright orange color. Should you prefer to pinch your pennies, you can find public transportation options leaving SJO every five minutes.
Hotels Near SJO
Unless San Jose is a temporary stop on your way to one of Costa Rica’s amazing beach towns, you are probably going to stay at a hotel in town. If that is the case, here are our favorite hotels near SJO:
- DoubleTree by Hilton Cariari: San Jose Costa Rica – Located just five minutes from SJO and a short walk from golf courses and shopping areas, the DoubleTreeCariani is in an optimum spot for corporate or pleasure travel. Hacienda-style architecture and well-appointed guestrooms make it appealing to vacationers, and the 14,000-square foot event space allows for business meetings to be held on the property with ease.
- Wyndham San Jose Herradura Hotel & Convention Center: With 4 outdoor pools, lush gardens, and elegant native-wood décor throughout, the Wyndham makes for an ideal retreat. If you need to sprinkle in a little bit of work into your stay, the on-site business center, free Wi-Fi, and nearly 30,000 square feet of flexible meeting space can certainly help you out.
- Barcelo San Jose Palacio: The tranquil tropics meet contemporary cool at this chic hotel. Enjoy a cocktail on the deck by one of their outdoor pools after a long day of exploring San Jose. When hunger hits, select from four on-site eateries featuring an international buffet, traditional Japanese, a casual grill, and local snacks.
- Hotel Presidente: Situated in the heart of downtown, the Presidente puts you in a perfect place to experience San Jose like a local. The completely renovated historic hotel is an upscale, modern destination that is just steps away from some of the city’s most popular landmarks. Cap off your day with a relaxing evening watching the sun set from the unique green roof—a verdant oasis of local flora coupled with breathtaking views of the cityscape and surrounding areas.
Things to Do Near SJO
Surely, your trip to San Jose will be filled with gastronomical delights, jungle tours, and day trips to the beach. But, here are some must-do attractions close to Juan Santamaría International Airport that should be added to your Costa Rican itinerary—even if you are only here for a quick layover:
- Recreo Verde Hot Springs: The thermal and mineral pools at Recreo Verde may be the best thing we’ve discovered to help soothe your body after a long international flight, leaving you ready to take on everything Costa Rica has to offer.
- Doka Coffee Plantation: If you prefer rejuvenation over relaxation, perhaps a trip to the Doka Coffee Plantation will be a better post-flight experience than the hot springs.
- VolcanPoas – At almost a mile across, the sunken volcanic crater in Poas National Park is a Costa Rican attraction that should not be missed. The well-maintained hiking trail out will help to work the knots out of your legs from the flight, too.
Explore San Jose
Travelocity is here when you’re ready for adventure. Browse through our selection of cheap flights to San Jose, Costa Rica to scoop up deals within your price range. We know you want to spend more on your adventures and activities and less on your travel, so take advantage of our exclusive mobile app deals. You can save a suitcase full of cash when you bundle your airfare to San Jose, Costa Rica with your hotel reservations. What are you waiting for? There’s no time like the present to embark on a getaway in this captivating Central American city.