A skyward stream of water erupts behind your seat as you open up the throttle a little more. The wind whips through your hair as you zip away from the coast and toward the middle of Harbor River. You momentarily take your eyes away from the aquatic expanse before you and the lush landscape in the distance, and you glance down at the climbing speedometer of your boat. Your smile widens and you feel truly alive. Welcome to Hilton Head, wise wanderer, the southern destination of your dreams.
This slice of heaven in South Carolina has incredible beaches that are only matched by the sublime dining options in the area. And by booking a room at one of the Hilton Head hotels on the beach, you can experience the best of both worlds. Before arriving on the island, here are answers to a couple of the most commonly asked questions:
What are the best beach activities in Hilton Head?
Upon your arrival on this island’s blissful beach, there are myriad ways to while the day away:
- Go dolphin-watching: Keep your eyes peeled for bottlenose dolphins, which are commonly spotted along the shoreline here.
- Look for loggerheads: These endangered sea-turtles, which can exceed 400 pounds and live beyond 100 years, are known to nest on Hilton Head.
- Ski around the scene: Explore the island’s waters while reaching speeds of 40 mph on a personal watercraft.
Where are the best restaurants in Hilton Head with a waterfront view?
There are scores of oceanfront restaurants on the island of Hilton Head. Check out these options:
- Bucci’s Italian Cuisine: Aside from an outdoor bar and a fleet of flatscreen TVs, this European eatery offers an enormous alfresco dining area and live entertainment four nights a week.
- Hudson’s Seafood House on the Docks: Overlooking Port Royal Sound, this restaurant sources all of their seafood from the local waters and processes everything in-house. Diners are even invited to watch the staff unload the day’s catch right outside the restaurant.
- The Quarterdeck Restaurant & Lounge: Located adjacent to the island’s famous Harbour Town Lighthouse, this is where you’ll find a decadent dining experience in one of the finest restaurants in Hilton Head.
- Skull Creek Boathouse: This award-winning restaurant offers both indoor and outdoor dining areas and features an impressive raw bar loaded with fresh oysters, sushi, and other delicacies from the deep.
- Topside Waterfront Restaurant: This pet-friendly restaurant perched above Calibogue Sound invites guests to dine on seafood, steaks, and supremely prepared meals you won’t find elsewhere on the island.
Travelocity takes all the hassle out of booking Hilton Head beach hotels at any time of year. No matter what degree of amenities you seek, we’ve got the ideal place for you to rest your head after a night around the island. Whether you’re in the mood for the opulent Omni Hilton Head Oceanfront Resort, or the more economical Hampton Inn - Hilton Head, it’s simple to reserve a room in any of the Hilton Head oceanfront hotels. Book the lodging option that’s best for you now, and you’ll be zooming down the Harbor River before you know it.