Sitting at the ocean’s edge with a bucket of cold beers just beside you and a cool Atlantic breeze playing with your hair, it’s not hard to imagine that you’re on the shores of Florida if you close your eyes. Yet, if you peer behind your spot on the sand, it’s not palm trees you spot in the distance. Instead, tall grass blends into a street lined with brick buildings. How could it be that you’re having such a wicked good beach vacation without ever leaving a destination bearing all the hallmarks of New England. It seems you’ve found a magical loophole in the myth that concrete jungles have no sand to lend to the space between your toes. Welcome to Beantown. When you book a stay at Boston beach hotels, you’re granted an all-access pass to the best of history and oceanfront serenity.
Where can I go to the beach near Boston?
You won’t find a spot of sand smack-dab in Boston Common, but there are loads of coastal stretches within just a short drive. Bring a Frisbee to Castle Island in South Boston, where the ribbon of beach is met by an expansive green lawn. In East Boston, Constitution Beach is walkable from the Blue Line and allows lifeguard-supervised swimming. Bring the entire family, watch planes come into Logan Airport, and walk to a nearby eatery for dinner when you’ve soaked up enough vitamin D.
What are the best Boston restaurants with a view of the water?
Loads of eateries have stationed themselves on the coveted real estate near Boston Harbor.
- Aragosta Bar and Bistro: Sailboats serve as the backdrop during your seafood lunch.
- Legal Harborside: Visit the third-story lounge and the water looks close enough to touch. In the summertime, the restaurant retracts the roof and walls, allowing you to enjoy a dose of fresh air with your sushi boat.
- Pier6: Always a good place to end the day; sip on a cocktail while you watch a tangerine sunset fall behind the Boston skyline and bounce off the water.
Where can I find the best seafood in Boston?
Some of the best seafood in the city is just a short distance from Boston beachfront hotels, and all of it is worth waiting in line for.
- Neptune Oyster: Hit up this hot spot for their signature Neptune Burger and a portion of piggyback oysters.
- The Daily Catch: Get reservations here for a beautifully plated serving of lobster fra diavolo or squid ink linguini.
- The Yankee Lobster Company: Looking for an epic lobster roll? This place has one with your name on it.
When you head to Boston, your desire to take a walk through history needn’t compete with your wish to get your ankles wet in the Atlantic. Thanks to Boston hotels on the beach, including The Constitution Inn and Boston Harbor Hotel, you get the best of both worlds. At Travelocity, we call that A+ wise wandering. You’ll just call it a little slice of heaven.