Waves crash against the sides of the ship as you scan the sea’s surface through binoculars. Riding the rough waters of the Italian Riviera has always been a dream of yours, and now you’re hoping to cross another item off your bucket list. You’ve already seen dolphins and migrating sea turtles during today’s excursion, but the object of your obsession has so far eluded you. As you continue surveying your surroundings of rolling water set against a backdrop beauteous beaches and verdant hills, a shimmering behemoth bursts through the water yards away. Your jaw drops and eyes open wider than ever before as the finback whale before you, completes its majestic breach. Welcome to Genoa, wise wanderer, the Italian escape you’ve always wanted.
Before you book a room at one of the Genoa beach hotels, here are answers to a variety of questions visitors commonly ask.
What are the best beaches to visit near Genoa?
Italy’s first port city has an incredible selection of beaches to enjoy. Here are a few of our suggestions for the top sandy spots on the Ligurian Sea:
- Cavi di Lavagna Beach: Considered the cleanest and most beautiful beach in all of Genoa, this family-friendly resort area spans more than 2 miles of coastline and is an excellent setting for hours of fun in the sun.
- Moneglia Beach: Nestled between cliffs and near a couple of timeworn castles, this beach town south of Genoa is among the most popular resort areas in the Italian Riviera.
- Chiavari Beach: Another award-winning spot, this slice of Genoa situated at the intersection of the Entella River and the Mediterranean Sea boasts a stunning beachfront beside a sprawling harbor.
- Vesima Beach: This recently opened, experimental beach is Genoa’s only publicly accessible stretch of sand that’s pet friendly. It even features pools for pups, food for felines, and on-site veterinary services.
Where is the best restaurant in Genoa with a view of the water?
Genoa is home to some of the Italy’s best seaside dining spots. If you’re interested in overlooking the Ligurian Sea while feasting on local fare, you can’t go wrong by paying a visit to any of these eateries:
- Il Veriero: Near the center of town overlooking the sea is where you’ll find this 300-seat restaurant famous for pizza, pasta, and traditional seafood dishes.
- Indarsena: With crab, shrimp, urchin, and lobsters among many other menu items, this restaurant is anything but your typical oyster bar.
- Antica Osteria del Bai: For more than 210 years, this simple stone building on the western banks of Genoa has offered daily catches from the gulf.
Travelocity is the easiest way to book Genoa, Italy, beach hotels no matter what time of year you’re interested in traveling. Our extensive selection of lodging options means you can stay at the Grand Hotel Savoia, Castello Miramare, or any of the other hotels by the beach in Genoa for a lower rate than you’ll find anywhere else. Book your room today, and you’ll be witnessing a whale’s breach before you know it.