How can you fit into the local scene and do what Phoenicians do? Let us count the ways. We’ve partnered with Dr. Cacinda Maloney of Points and Travel as she takes us on a whirlwind adventure through the Phoenix/Scottsdale Metroplex.
Sure, you could book yourself an amazing, luxury resort and sit at the pool all week on your next vacation or even explore all of what the state of Arizona has to offer, which has been made famous by its desert beauty and Grand Canyon. But to really understand the “Valley of the Sun”, you need to experience Phoenix like a local.
Instead of leaving the Valley for areas all over this beautiful state, why don’t you book a trip to Phoenix, stick around for a few days and do what we do everyday.
Here are 5 things that local singles do in the Phoenix/Scottsdale Metroplex:
1. They enjoy staycations and spa/golf days at least once a year – Of course, they book a staycation during the summer, but they also do it in the spring or whenever they need a day break!
There are so many boutique hotels and resorts here to choose from, that as a local, we can’t just sit and simmer away in the heat of the summer. Treat yourself to a weekend stay. You can go to the spa or take in a golf day. Phoenix has great choices for spa escapes and golf!
My choices for boutique luxury hotels:
My choices for larger resorts:
2. They enjoy Cactus League Spring Training – Phoenicians love our sports, with four major league sports teams in Arizona. We love our baseball, which is our Diamondbacks, but remember, we come from all over the place to live here, so we love to see our favorite baseball teams during their Spring Training. Right here in Phoenix/Scottsdale you can see many of your favorite players from the Chicago Cubs to the White Sox , just to name a few! Spring is the perfect time of year to come for a visit.
3. They go to Old Town Scottsdale – Everyone loves to come to this western-themed town! This is where they shop in the art galleries, souvenir shops, and the trendy clothes and home furnishing shops. They eat all the delicious food in the high-end restaurants and play all night at the hip nightclubs, bars, and listen to the live music. But they also go to the Saturday Market to buy fresh veggies and walk around the park!
4. They love the food – The culinary scene in Phoenix is on fire with amazing chefs scattered throughout the Valley for everything from fine dining, to trendy and hip, to sandwich shops to romantic hideaways, as well as food trucks. There are many hip scenes for valley local singles.
The Valley has everything you need to lick your chops or to plan the perfect date. I can easily recommend Zookz for lunch in central Phoenix, La Mariposa for romance, Crudo for drinks, Talavera for high-end cuisine. Postino’s and The Mission are just plain cool, but there are so many more that I love as well!
5. They love to hike – They love all the mountains that surround our valleys, and so seeing the city from the top of the mountain is one of the things Phoenix singles love to do. You can take the Summit Trail all the way to the top of Piestew (Squaw) Peak for incredible views! Can you believe we get about 4,000 to 10,000 hikers per week on this very trail? Piestewa (Squaw) Peak goes to 2,612 feet, so once you make it, wave down below to me, because I live real close to this mountain. Also, I am sure you noticed that gorgeous rock-like mountain that is shaped like a camel with his humps that we so fondly refer to as the Camelback Mountain. It is much more strenuous a hike to the top of this one at 2,707 feet, so be prepared to hike and climb, as well as bring plenty of water. These are just two of our famous mountains right in the center of town.
To sum it up, these are things Phoenix singles do every day, since they live right here in the “Valley of the Sun.” When you come for a visit and you want to act like a single local Phoenician, now you know what you can do while you are here!
Cacinda Maloney is an official Travelocity Gnational Gnomad. Gnational Gnomads is an exclusive group of high-profile travel and lifestyle experts who offer tips and inspiration on behalf of Travelocity. For more information on the Travelocity Gnomads visit travelocitygnomads.com.
Travelocity compensates authors for their writings appearing on this site; such compensation may include travel and other costs.