Random Acts of Kindness Day can be celebrated no matter where you happen to be on February 17. (It can also be celebrated ANY time of year.) We have a great list of ideas to get you started on celebrating this day from Latina lifestyle blogger, Pattie Cordova of LivingMiVidaLoca.com. Save and bookmark this list of good deeds that you can do at home, on the road, and even at the airport!
While picking up necessities at the grocery store
- Let the person behind you go in front of you.
- Leave coupons next to the products they are for.
- Straighten things up on store shelves as you browse.
While on a road trip
- Pay for the person behind you at the drive-thru.
- Help someone who looks lost with directions.
- On your next convenience store stop, give a lottery ticket to a stranger.
- Let someone merge in front of you during rush hour.
- Pick up a fast food gift card and give it to someone who is homeless.
While waiting for your flight at the airport
- Pass on your books after you’ve read them for someone else to enjoy.
- Compliment a stranger.
- Put change in candy and vending machines—or tape a couple of dollars to the machine.
- Drop a few coins in an area where children play so they can find them.
- While picking up something to eat at one of the airport’s restaurants, pay for the meals at another table.
- Say “bless you” when someone sneezes.
- Offer someone a piece of gum while you’re waiting for your plane to board.
- Write encouraging messages on sticky notes and stick them in random places like a vending machine, the drinking fountain, etc.
- Give stickers out to kids you pass as you’re walking to your gate.
At your destination
- Volunteer at a local charity.
- At the end of your trip, pass on your unused bus or train pass to someone in need.
- Hold the door for people behind you.
- Send a care package to a loved one with treats purchased at your current location.
- Stop by a street vendor and give the proprietor a $20 bill. Tell the proprietor to give free merchandise to the next several customers until the $20 is consumed.
- Donate your used clothes and housewares to charity. Some hotels, like Royal Solaris in Los Cabos, collect clothing in their reception areas and distribute to communities in the area.
- Help an elderly person off the shuttle bus to/from the airport.
- Help a parent who is struggling to get a stroller up/down the stairs.
- Offer an elderly person, a pregnant woman, a physically disabled person, or just someone who looks tired, your seat on the bus/subway.
- Keep the city you’re visiting clean by picking up plastic bottles and other trash you see around as you go sight seeing.
- Smile at everyone you pass on the street.
- Support local street performers and artists.
- If you’ve discovered a great little restaurant or store, spread the word on social media. Tag us at @Travelocity so we can take a look as well!
No matter where you are
- Instead of buying gifts for your family, agree to donate the equivalent value to a charity of their choice.
- Write a letter, a postcard or e-mail to a good friend or family member to let them know how much you value them.
- Let go of an old grudge.
- Share an inspirational quote with a background featuring your favorite destination.
- Call everyone you know and tell them you love them.
There are so many ways to celebrate Random Acts of Kindness Day, even if it’s not February 17. Share with us the last nice thing you did for someone in the comments below. We’d love to hear more ideas!
Travelocity compensates authors for their writings appearing on this site; such compensation may include travel and other costs.