In this time of uncertainty, one thing we know for sure is that the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) has had a major impact on travel—including hotel stays. Because we know the situation has created challenges for everyone, we’ve been able to negotiate with our travel partners to waive cancellation penalties and refund existing hotel bookings through April 30, 2020 or provide a full-cost voucher allowing you to rebook in the future. Have an upcoming hotel stay you need to postpone or cancel? Here’s everything you need to know including answers to your most frequently asked questions.
A step-by-step guide to hotel cancellations
If your hotel stay was scheduled to begin before April 30, 2020:
- If your hotel stay begins within the next 24 hours, please contact us immediately.
- If your hotel stay begins more than 24 hours from now you can: Cancel with no penalty and you will be eligible for a full refund; or, in some cases, a voucher from us equal to the total price plus taxes and fees allowing you to rebook the original property within the next year.
What you’ll need to get started:
- Locate your itinerary number from your confirmation email or your My Trips page.
- Have your travel dates, email and phone number used to make the booking handy.
Follow these steps:
- Cancel online using My Trips to access your booking and follow the instructions from your itinerary to cancel.
- Cancel using Chat. Click the blue Chat Now button from the My Trips or our customer service page. The virtual agent will guide you through the process of cancelling your booking and can answer other questions you may have
- Complete the Cancel Request Form. Fill out this form using the itinerary number, email, and phone number from your booking. After submitting the form the cancel request will be processed.
- If your hotel stay begins within the next 24 hours, click the Contact Us button on this page to speak directly with an agent.
Frequently asked questions
- Should I cancel through you or contact my hotel directly? We are working closely with our hotel partners to update lodging policies as quickly as possible. If you booked a hotel stay through our site or app, we recommend starting your cancellation or change with us first unless directed otherwise by a Travel Advisor or the property directly.
- My hotel is closed due to COVID-19. What do I do now? Even if the property you have booked on our site is closed due to COVID-19, our agents can assist you with processing a change or cancellation. Please follow the normal steps to cancel.
- What if I reserved a vacation rental? If you booked a vacation rental and your confirmation number begins with HA, see the Coronavirus vacation rental page. For all other vacation rentals, access your booking from the My Trips page and follow the instructions to cancel.
- What if my hotel is part of a vacation package? Travelers with a vacation package should cancel each component of their trip separately. For example, if you reserved a hotel + flight vacation package, please follow the above steps to cancel your hotel and visit our flight page FAQ for instructions on cancelling your airline tickets.
- Why can’t I get a refund? Travelocity follows the policies of its hotel partners. In situations where we have been unable to negotiate a refund policy, we are offering a voucher from us equal to the total price + taxes and fees allowing you to rebook the original property within the next year.
- When will I get my refund? Refunds may take up to 30 days to process at this time. Please check your bank or card statements within this timeframe before calling.
- I tried all of the options above and still can’t cancel my hotel. If none of the above options were successful in cancelling your hotel stay, you may attempt to cancel directly with the hotel
- Will I have to pay a fee or penalty to change or cancel my reservation? We have worked closely with our travel partners to waive cancellation fees for hotel stays booked before March 19, 2020 for travel through April 30, 2020.
- But what if I have travel insurance? Can I get a refund then? Check your policy to see if unforeseen events like COVID-19 are covered. You may have the option to file a claim with the insurance provider. Please note that a refund is not guaranteed in this instance. If you still wish to cancel your hotel stay through Travelocity you may do so.
- My hotel stay begins after April 30, 2020. Can I still cancel? Hotel policies are changing daily due to COVID-19. Please wait and check back closer to your stay date for the latest policies. If you do want to cancel today, you can do so from the My Trips page, but please be aware that all normal cancellation penalties will apply.
- If I book a hotel between now and April 30, will I be automatically eligible for this policy? The policy currently applies to existing bookings through April 30. We strongly suggest travelers search for and book a refundable hotel rate for any upcoming travel.
Travelocity compensates authors for their writings appearing on this site; such compensation may include travel and other costs.