The wisdom of the old proverb "Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you" becomes ever-apparent in San Diego, the land of sunshine, sand, and surf—and hardly a shadow in sight. It's the sea you'll notice first as your flight prepares to land at San Diego International Airport (SAN). Better known as Lindbergh Field, San Diego's airport is conveniently located just 4 miles northwest of downtown along the harbor of the San Diego Bay.
It isn’t just the spectacular weather and beautiful beaches that keep visitors coming back to San Diego. From the cultural attractions in Balboa Park to maritime history to world-class dining, it's easy to see why this town has become one of America's favorite vacation destinations. And with the cheapest flights to San Diego from Travelocity, you will have plenty of money left over to explore it all. Welcome to the birthplace of California.
Transportation from SAN
Getting around the city is almost as easy as booking flights to San Diego. Once your plane touches down, it's time to begin the revelry. From your gate, stroll over to the Transportation Plaza to meet your reserved shuttle van or bus or to catch a taxicab. If you'd prefer to take public transportation, the Metropolitan Transit System's Route 992 bus will get you from the airport to downtown in 15 minutes or so. Or you can transfer to the city's light rail transit network, the MTS San Diego Trolley.
Another option is to fully embrace Southern California’s famous car culture. Taking control of your own set of wheels can be the most convenient option for getting from point A to point B. Save time by booking your car rental at the same time you book your airfare to San Diego.
Hotels Near SAN
As your San Diego flight begins to descend, you’ll see shimmering ocean, then the gorgeous skyline, and the islands of Mission Bay. Yes, you’ll think, near the airport is an excellent place to stay. Downtown is just minutes away, as are the beaches and bays. So where, exactly, is the best place for you?
- Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego is right downtown. Whether you are headed to a conference or business fair at the Convention Center or to the bars and clubs of the Gaslamp District, this hotel is in the heart of it all.
- Wyndham San Diego Bayside doesn’t just have a beautiful-sounding name. Cuisine connoisseurs will love exploring nearby Little Italy, while the free shuttle to top attractions will please those who don’t want to rent a car.
- At The Dana on Mission Bay, “waterfront” is the only word you need to know. With a bayfront infinity pool, ocean-view restaurant, and water sport rentals at the private marina, this hotel is the embodiment of the laid-back California lifestyle.
- Catamaran Resort Hotel and Spa simply can’t be beat when it comes to soaking up the sunshine. This lush, Polynesian-themed hideaway has bay-view balconies in every room, and it is just steps from Mission Beach and boardwalk.
Things to Do Near SAN
Plane tickets to San Diego are also your ticket to fun—the airport couldn’t be better located. It’s in the city center, and also right on the water. You’ll have no shortage of things to do as soon as you get off the plane.
- Take the airport shuttle to the Middletown Green Line Trolley Station and ride north two stops to Old Town, one of the city’s most popular tourist spots. Buy your first souvenir from the vendors peddling luchador masks, then enjoy a sandwich from the 19th-century-inspired Rust General Store.
- Journey three stops south instead and you’ll find yourself at Seaport Village. If you’re feeling tired after that flight, sip some java at Upstart Crow Coffeehouse, then browse the unique shops. From surf shops to ponchos to shops full of hot sauce, you will find pretty much anything you’d expect from San Diego.
- If the only direction you want to go is toward the beach, we can point the way. Ocean Beach is the closest, and the 923 bus can get you there easily; a taxi or car rental, however, is even easier.
Explore "America's Finest City"
Ready to find some flight deals to San Diego and begin your California adventure? Search Travelocity for the best selection of times and dates, plus combine your hotel and airfare reservations with our amazing vacation packages. San Diego is calling to you. It’s time to turn your face to the sun.