Our room was located on the 4th floor right over the exhaust from the kitchen. The fumes were so overwhelming that we couldn't use the balcony. We reported it to the staff but they could have cared less.
Comment from Hotel Management
Nov 14, 2015 by Bill Moore, General Manager, Hotel Management
Thank you for your recent stay. I am so happy that you enjoyed our prime location. However, I was disappointed to read that my staff let you down and did not remedy the situation regarding the smell from the kitchen coming into your room. We pride ourselves with the customer service training that we have in place for our associates but it sounds like we let you down. I will share your concerns so that we can collectively take action in assuring these types of issues do not happen again. Thank you, again, and I would really appreciate you giving us another opportunity and stay with us and prove ourselves to you in the near future.